Sunday, January 30, 2011

Kreinik Hot-Wire & Catch Up

Hi Everybody... Robin here.

Sorry to be so long from blogging. I've been enjoying the great progress Peggy has made on Sarcoph A. Gus.

Thought I would take this time to catch up from my trip to California. You will read about it in the February 2010 e-newsletter, but I'm going to share some more photos with you.

Here's a panoramic view from the Hotel I stayed at in Glendale, CA. Talk about a room with a view!




My first Teaching Destination was at Needle In A Haystack/Montrose, CA. Jody Budman is the owner of this wonderful Needlepoint/Knit Shop. I taught the NeedleDeeva Heart #150G. A great time was had by all. I met Jody's husband and their daughter-in-law. Nice, nice people! They really made me feel at home.

My second Teaching Destination was at A Stitch In Time Needlework/San Marino, CA. Alison Hodgkiss is the owner of this wonderful Needlepoint/Knit Shop. I taught the Early Bird (Zecca ZE-107) at 3PM and the Harvest Fairy (MSD DM-09) after dinner. All of the ladies were very kind. Nice, nice people. Here are two photos of her shop. Yes, I was in sunny Southern California.



I was able to preview the new upcoming Kelly Clark's Little Witches which will begin as an exclusive from A Stitch In Time Needlework. Look for their Needlepoint Now ad announcing the series this summer. Seeing Alison's designs and stitches makes me want to sign up for this club.

I had the best time at both of these locations. It was a dream come true. I have been talking with other needlepoint Shop Owners about teaching at their locations for 2011 and 2012. Exciting times, indeed.

OK... now for the rest of the story...

Did you know I have been stitching the NEW NeedleDeeva Halloween Club pieces which will be released in June 2011 with my Stitch Guides?  Yes, I am. Woohoo! There are 8 new designs; cute, cute, and more cute. I'll be sharing these previews with you first. (Another bonus for following the Needlepoint Study Hall blog.) I also have been looking at the new Kreinik Hot-Wire and found some places to use it on these Halloween Club pieces. It is the Kreinik size 16 Braid with a wire center. Too fun. Here's the link to the Kreinik website so you can see the 9 colors.

You all know I have successfully used (as seen on this blog) the DMC Memory Thread.  It's good stuff... now with even more colors. I'd like to share with you one method of inserting the Kreinik Hot-Wire into your canvas. Because it is size 16 Braid with a thin wired core, you might have a bit of difficulty poking it through the canvas; especially through areas with surrounded stitching. This method worked for me; hope it will be helpful for you.

The method I used was the Lasso Method. First, I put on my Cowboy Boots, Cowboy Hat, and got the Lariat handy. (Just kidding... wanted to see if you were paying attention.) But, I did make a Lariat of sorts. Here are some photos of the process I did.

I made an enlarged hole in the canvas with my Laying Tool.



Then I took a strong thread and threaded it into the needle; making a Lariat. Notice the Loop End is close to the Eye of the needle.



Then I put the Needle into the canvas.



Placed the Kreinik Hot-Wire into the Lariat.



Gently tugged on the ends of the Lariat which pulled the end of the Kreinik Hot-Wire through the canvas. 





Here is a photo from the back of the canvas.


 The Kreinik Hot-Wire is now pulled through.




From there, you would whip-stitch and secure the cut end of the Kreinik Hot-Wire to the back of the canvas.

I felt this stuff was good enough to share. I said to myself, "Watch out... she's gonna blog." Oh, I just laughed. Sure have missed everyone. We'll chat again soon. Thanks, Robin

10 comments:

  1. Robin

    Great tip and thanks. Sure wished I could have come to your classes when you were here in Calif. Hope next time your here I can take a class. What an exciting time for you and how much fun you must be having. Look forward to hearing more.

    Sue VanderNoor

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robin, I am so excited to hear about all that you are doing with your teaching and stitch guides! That is great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sue and Lisa,
    Good to hear from you. Thanks for cheering me on. Robin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Robin - Love seeing the photos from your trip -especially the hotel room. Marilyn was looking out for you! I can't wait to see the NeedleDeeva Halloween club. Could I possibly be thinking about another Halloween club? Why not? Great tip and photos with the Hot Wire - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Melinda,

    It was fun having Marilyn in the same room. I knew I was in L.A. the moment I saw her.

    The NeedleDeeva Halloween club canvases are quite do-able in size; triangular in shape, about 4½" at both the apex and the base. Like I said, cute and more cute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love all your tips, Robin. Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge and experiences. Envious of your needlepoint journeys! Judy Ellis

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Robin,

    Sounds like you are going to be one busy stitcher/teacher. I am so glad that you had a wonderful time in California. Cannot wait to see the Needle Deeva Halloween Club.
    Thank you for the lesson on the Hot Wire. Now I know how to use it.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Linda,
    Good to hear from you. Hope the weather is manageable in your area. Hot Wire is fun to use. I'm going to be using it on the NeedleDeeva Halloween Club. Hope to see you soon. Thanks, Robin

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad you enjoyed my state. If you get to the Bay Area, give me a holler.....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Consider it done. I would LOVE to teach in the Bay Area. Please put the word out to anyone. Thanks, Robin

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive