Monday, February 11, 2013

TNNA / Long Beach 2013 recap - part 1

Hi Everybody... Robin here.

I've been to the West Coast and back. Had a nice time at the TNNA Winter Market in Long Beach, CA. Also, had a nice time teaching the Sunflower and Berries (ND 309) class at Needle in A Haystack, Montrose, CA. So much to tell you... let's begin.

♫ On the road, again... ♫

Jules loves a suitcase.

The flight from Memphis to Los Angeles was a bumpy one. I was "shaken, not stirred" and did survive. Needless to say, I did not get a lot of stitching done on the plane.

The Super Shuttle took me from LAX to Long Beach. Look what I saw along the way...

Good Year blimp

Friday was Set Up day. The NeedleDeeva booth was full of helpful recruits. It was fun meeting the Deeva's daughter, Kiersten, whose day job is being an OB/GYN doctor. Talented lady.


Here was my view while on the Panel

I had been asked to participate in a panel discussion during the Retail Council Luncheon Program. The topic, "Social Media ... How's That Working For You?" There was a good turnout, and many points were discussed. The bottom line is that Needlepoint and Yarn Shops need to embrace Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and other social media for advertising and communications with their customers. After all, we are in the 21st Century. When was the last time you used your Yellow Pages book? Can you still find it or is it being used for a door stop? Thanks to Lori Mazza (Waste Knot Needlepoint, Arlington, VA) and those on the TNNA Retail Council board for this opportunity. #TNNA

Friday evening was Sample It! There was a big turnout of Shop Owners ready to participate in the 1.5 hour long Cash & Carry component of the Market.


My little world during Meet The Teacher at TNNA/Long Beach.

At the same time was the Meet The Teacher event which I participated in. I was right next to Laurie Walden (excellent teacher, stitcher, designer from Houston, TX) and was down the table from Linda Corirossi (excellent teacher, stitcher and book author). I was in heaven. I handed out Robin King information sheets and business cards. Talk about networking. 30 shop owners now know about me. Hopefully, someday, they might want me to teach or need any of my other services. It was a fun evening.

During my time at Market, I did walk around to see what's new, or what caught my eye.

I was most pleased to hear there were more Mariko King canvases at the Amanda Lawford booth. Whimsical cat canvases. Be still my heart. Here are some of the new designs which spoke to me; each about 6 x 6 on 18 mesh. (13 mesh is available, about 8 x 8.)







DC Designs had a new canvas based on one of his popular seller, Sheep Sits. New for the 2013 Market... now presenting... "iSits" ... too funny. Derrick is the son of Amanda Lawford.

Sorry for the fuzzy photo...  Derrick's humor got me tickled.

I'll be back soon for another TNNA/ Long Beach 2013 recap. Until the next time... Hugs, Robin

2 comments:

Blog Archive