Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Teaching at Beth's Needlepoint Nook, Louisville, KY

Hi Everybody... Robin here...

Hope you are enjoying these nice October days.

I've been "blog silent" getting ready for my two upcoming Canvas Enhancement class destinations, but this morning I wanted to tell you about my wonderful time spent teaching at Beth's Needlepoint Nook in Louisville, KY a few weeks ago.

What's that saying... Getting there is half the battle? My flight was delayed getting out of Memphis due to persistent thunder/lightening storms which made me miss my connection flight to Louisville. However, the Louisville flight was also delayed getting out of ATL. I hoofed it from Terminal A to Terminal E to the very last gate (E3). The plane was still there, but they had given away my seat. Luckily, the gate attendant didn't give up, and did find a way to get me on "my" flight. My luggage arrived on the next flight to Louisville. It was a fancy plane; I played Sudoko.

From ATL to Louisville

At Beth's Needlepoint Nook, our Canvas Enhancement class featured these canvases by Zecca, Danji, Laurel Burch, Sandra Gilmore (x4), Strictly Christmas (x2), Ruth Schmuff, that famous "No Name Chicken" and a lovely tribute to Sammy, the Keeshond.

New stitch guides by Robin King

The threads had already been pulled/kitted; let the stitching begin!

Jan B. selected the Amish Hanging Quilts. I had just learned the Peruvian Loop stitch, and wanted to share it with her for the Clothes Line pole. (You know me... I'm the See One, Do One, Teach One gal.) I also showed her how to make the Colonial Running Roses using Silk Ribbon. What fun effects!

Everyone received a Beth's Needlepoint Nook magnet.


The Home Haunted Home had teachable moments, too. My favorite Twisted Lazy Daisy stitch was used on the Pumpkin Stem. Love that 3D effect!

Twisted Lazy Daisy is a must know stitch.

Friday night the class all went out to dinner. Good food and conversation. What a fun group of ladies.

Beth was the perfect hostess. Look at my welcome basket and pretty flowers.

Southern hospitality

The two days went so quickly. Why does time in the Needlepoint world move at such warp speeds?

Our snacks during class were home-made delicacies; a collaborative effort from Beth's ladies. Jena M. made these wonderful Blue Cheese Crackers. She gave me permission to include the recipe.

Blue cheese crackers

10 to 12 ounces crumbled blue cheese
3/4 cup soft butter
2 cups flour
1 cup finely chopped pecans (I bake the nuts for about 7 minutes in a 350 degree oven; toasting them this way brings out the flavor)
1/2 to 1 teaspoon cayenne

Cream cheese and butter together. Toss the flour, nuts and cayenne together, then add to cheese mixture and mix well. 
Roll into 1 or 2 logs. Refrigerate until chilled or freeze until you need them, then slice 1/4 inch thick and bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until toasty. Makes about 4 dozen.

These go really well with wine!

My hotel was right next door to Barnes & Noble Bookstore. Each evening I walked over and treated myself to a decaf Pumpkin Spice Latte (don't hold the Whip!)

Yum!

The cool weather (yes, KY weather is usually 10+ degrees cooler than Memphis) was a welcome change.

The Chamber of Commerce weather package
was ordered  for my September visit. 

As I was packing up my things getting ready for the flight back to Memphis, Beth gave me an extra surprise: a Derby-Pie to bring home. It was frozen and traveled great. We had Derby-Pie for a week. What a treat!

The one and only Derby-Pie from Louisville, KY
Chocolate Nut Pie

It was nice being back in Kentucky. Looking forward to my next visit at Beth's Needlepoint Nook.

Today I'm packing and getting ready to travel again. This time: teaching a Canvas Enhancement class at Needle Nook of La Jolla in California. (Oh, somebody please pinch me!)

It will be fun to tell you all about that trip... the next time. Here's hoping for a smooth uneventful flight. Until then... HUGS, Robin


3 comments:

  1. Going to try the Pervian Loop for my line, Robin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great idea, Penny! Had I known it then, I might have suggested it. But, now that we know it... what a brilliant idea! See you at the end of the month, too! Hugs.

      Delete
  2. Am thinking about making a road trip to Louisville to the needlework shop--have heard good things about it. That Derby Pie looks yummy

    ReplyDelete